- How does food affect the human body?
- How does food impact my health as I age?
- How can I help my family make good choices?
The purpose of this "curriculum-for-all-ages" is to help families understand that they are "fearfully and wonderfully made and that food -- good and bad -- does effect the body."
The program reinforces (or introduces) biology by discussing the major body systems in six units:
- The Brain and Nervous System
- Digestion and Elimination
- Respiration and Olfactory
- Muscular and Skeletal Systems
- Cardiovascular and Immune Systems
- Endocrine System and Emotions.
This e-book is 448 full-color pages! But, it is also available on CD and in print.
While it was easy enough to read on screen, with colorful illustrations and a pleasing layout, I opted to print the WHOLE book after perusing through the book and reading the first chapter! I liked it that much and could see us getting a lot of use out of this one!
$79.95 CD Rom
$129.95 book and CD Rom
For how complete and informative this curriculum is, I thought this was a reasonable price. I like having the e-book version so that I can print additional pages as needed.
The following is a video testimony about the curriculum,
Additional information and customer testimonials are available on the product page and you can view sample pages to see more.
The first unit we covered, the Brain and Nervous System, proved to be informational and interesting. We loved learning more about the brain and especially loved all the good brain foods we learned about.
Chapter 1 included a section on "What is the Brain?" along with discussion questions, activities, resources and a "Power Recipe"~
The intention behind the Power Recipes is to apply the knowledge of how our bodies work and how food affects it by getting into the kitchen.
We began with avocados, and even did an experiment on ripening them. We placed an avocado in a paper bag with an apple, and left the other on the counter next to it. We were surprised to see the avocado in the bag ripen much quicker.
My kids had fun preparing and assembling the ingredients. They all helped and Nathan learned to use the garlic press for the first time. While we made it, we talked about how avocados are good for your brain and that is why we call them "brain food."
It was the best guacamole we have ever had! I have made it several times since then ~ it is brain food after all and full of good fats!
In Chapter 2, we learned about Brain Health and Nutrition. We learned about brain health issues, fats, omega fatty acids, good sources of Omega-3's and 6's and how to choose the right supplements for your brain. We also covered some discussion questions, did some activities and made another "Power" Recipe ~
This recipe included olive oil which is a good "Brain Power" fat that our brain needs. Yummy!
For Fun ~ Brain Teasers
One suggested activitiy in Chapter 2 is to challenge your brain with a brain teaser ~ I found a wooden one and let the boys give it a try. We also did a test to see how quickly our brain reacts - a reflex activity for chapter 3.
In Chapter 3, we learned all about the nervous system. We learned what nerves are, the parts of the nervous system and what they do and what reflexes are.
We are on Chapter 4, Nervous System Health and Nutrition and plan to continue with this!
What I like about it:
- The illustrations - lots of vivid and colorful illustrations and labeled diagrams.
- How the material is presented. Each chapter includes information, fun facts, and "Word Power" definitions.
- The discussion questions - lots of great questions to stimulate conversation about living a healthy lifestyle. Scripture references are included and tie nicely into this curriculum.
- All of the hands on activities suggested!
- That is is multi-age. Activities are suggested for elementary and secondary students giving you a variety of options to choose from for a wide variety of ages. The information does seem geared towards older children, but I was able to scale it down to teach my little ones the basics.
To see other crew member reviews, click here or on the banner below!