I watched an old post grow to the top of my "popular posts" list over the summer and it finally inspired me to want to make a new calendar and morning board!
That and a row of My Big Green Pocketbook!
Last time I hung our boards on the wall, but this time I used a tri-fold board that I originally bought for a science fair project last spring. It didn't get used for its intended purpose, so I thought all summer that it would make a great portable morning board instead. Naturally, I'm not the only smart mama out there ~ I did a search on Pinterest and sure enough, someone else thought of it too! :)
I created this board for my preschooler, Bo. He will turn 4 in a few months, and I wanted to include a few "getting ready for kindergarten" skills.
Skills to learn:
- the days of week ~ interactive song using the Today Is... Song
- the months of the year (printable from Sonlight's Mathtacular)
- weather observation skills
- seasons (Mathtacular)
- telling time to the hour
- numbers and number words to 30 (calendar and Mathacular)
- applying knowledge of colors to real life (Mathtacular)
- applying knowledge of shapes to real life (Mathtacular)
- spelling my name ~ I Can Spell My Name
- tying my shoes ~ starting with a granny knot ~ I Can Tie My Shoes
- my address and phone number ~ I Know My Address & I Know My Phone Number
We are also using Songs for Saplings and Songs For Saplings ABC Bible Verse Printables to learn a Bible verse with whatever letter we are working on in All About Reading Pre-reading and also singing seasonal songs.
Bo's Preschool Morning Board:
I share more how our row of My Big Green Pocketbook inspired us and also how we are using Mathtacular with our Preschool morning board!
- Tri-fold white board (from W@lmart)
- colored construction paper (I used what I had from Blick Art Supply)
- printer and ink (I buy cheap generic ink from Amazon)
- Scotch laminating pouches
- Scotch laminator
- clear velcro
- double-sided tape
- plastic page protectors (I buy quality ones in bulk)
- scrapbooking double-sided tape (the cheap stuff won't hold up for heavier items)
Special thanks to:
All the ladies below for sharing their awesome printables and inspiration, and also to Maureen for the inspiration to use double sided tape and plastic page protectors! I was fully equipped to laminate and velcro until I saw her morning board! It is so much easier to just slide a new page in! (This may have been done before, but for some reason I am just now learning this!).
Calendar and Morning board inspiration: