As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I had the opportunity to review KinderBach Piano for Young Children. We first heard about Kinderbach earlier this year and tried the first two weeks lessons for free as a part of our preschool lesson on the letter K. Mali worked through the lessons in one sitting and really enjoyed the activities. He learned about highs and lows, what a note is and just had fun playing with the keys. So we were excited to have the opportunity to review the whole program.
During our time with Kinderbach, we sang, used rhythm instruments, danced and more. The use of gross and fine motor movements kept my youngest two (ages 2 and 4) active and having fun. Optional worksheets added another dimension.
KinderBach offers 240 online video lessons, 60 weeks of music training. Learning is gradual and child-paced so you can go as slow or as quick as your child needs.
Mali, my 4 year old, got the most out of the program and learned a little about note reading, rhythm, singing, vocabulary and more through fun characters, such as Dodi:
He did need my help to navigate through the lessons at first and I had to print activity pages for him and explain directions for some activities. I found that he was more interested when I was directly involved. But, I did not have to be present the whole time for him to use the program.
Upon completion of the program, your child will: (according to the website)
- Know all the notes on the piano by location and letter name
- Be familiar with the grand staff,
- Read some individual notes on staff and all notes by pattern on staff,
- Understand and read rhythms from eighth to whole notes,
- Have improved listening skills so that he/she can interpret rhythms, intervals and patterns heard.
- Play familiar melodies,
- Play hands together or separately,
- Have a working music vocabulary,
- Understand basic composition methods
- Computer - for viewing web video lessons and/or printing activity pages
- Hi Speed Internet or a DVD player
- CD player (optional)
- Craft materials - Scissors, printer paper, crayons, markers, craft paper, glue etc...
- $7.99 a month - Billed in a 1-time annual payment of $95.88 (Save 60%) or
- $19.99 monthly subscription - Billed monthly for a year (12 separate payments)
- 1 engaging live action and animation DVD (3 hours of video)
- PDF activity book on CD (with parent guide) - pages to complete with the DVD lessons
- 1 audio CD with performance & demonstration tracks - literally piano 'karaoke' so your child can play along with the band!
The bonus part is that the whole family can use the membership. But, I personally would prefer to have the DVD version because I have 2 small children that could grow into this. While my 4 year old wasn't quite ready for this and was only interested if I was engaging him, I do feel that this is a great program for teaching young children piano, especially since private piano lessons can cost much more and no prior knowledge is needed by the parent.
You can see other Crew member reviews to see what they think of Kinderbach, or click on the banner below to visit the Crew blog.
I received this product for free in exchange for my review as a member of the Crew. No further compensation was received and I offer my honest opinion. See my Disclosure Policy for more information.