Math Tutor DVD has a wide ranges of products available on their website www.mathtutordvd.com. As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received two products from Math Tutor DVD for review: Young Minds Numbering and Counting and The Basic Math Word Problem Tutor.
It teaches little ones to count from 1 to 10 and engages them with brightly colored everyday objects. Some of the objects include animals such as frogs, horses, jellyfish, sharks, whales and the sounds they make. Colors are also taught by pointing out the color of objects on screen.
Numbers are animated to fly-in from off screen and show the child how to count by counting the objects on the screen.
Here is a sampling of the objects presented:
- Variety of animals along with animal sounds
- Fruits and vegetables along with their colors
- Machines that move such as trucks, airplanes, etc., along with the sounds that they make.
- Everyday objects such as crayons, toys, etc.
I thought this was beautifully done, visually appealing and engaging to my 2 year old. It was very soothing and relaxing to watch and I enjoyed it every bit as much as she did, just listening to the music. I think it is a great way to expose numbers, counting and everyday concepts to little ones.
Word problems seem to be the toughest to tackle when it comes to everyday math, but this DVD was so simple to understand that it made it seem so easy to Tackle Basic Math Word Problems.
Basic Math Word Problem Tutor is focused on building essential math skills at the elementary and middle school level specifically dealing with basic math word problems. They are designed to prepare the student to tackle Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and beyond.
Word problem lessons are taught through fully worked example problems in a step-by-step fashion.
The Basic Math Word Problem Tutor is a 2 DVD set for a total of 8 hours in lessons.
- Section 1: Adding Whole Numbers
- Section 2: Subtracting Whole Numbers
- Section 3: Multiplying Whole Numbers
- Section 4: Dividing Whole Numbers
- Section 5: Adding Decimals
- Section 6: Subtracting Decimals
- Section 7: Multiplying Decimals
- Section 8: Dividing Decimals
- Section 9: Adding Fractions
- Section 10: Subtracting Fractions
- Section 11: Multiplying Fractions
- Section 12: Dividing Fractions
- Section 13: Percents, Part 1
- Section 14: Percents, Part 2
- Section 15: Ratio and Proportion
See a sample clip from the section on fractions to get an idea of how the material is presented.
This DVD has a "this will improve your grades or your money back" guarantee.
I used this course with my three older boys (grades 4, 5 and 8). We sat down with scratch paper and a pencil and watched it together. On problems that were very easy, I had the boys solve the problem and we moved on to the next. When we got to tougher problems, there was no need to pause the DVD ~ it goes step by step and is very thorough. I think they all benefited from these DVD's and plan to keep it around for a resource. I also really enjoyed letting someone else do the teaching for a change and recommend this if your elementary or middle school aged children struggle with understanding basic word math problems.
Be sure to see what my Crew mates thought of Math Tutor DVD, or visit the Crew blog by clicking on the banner below.
I received this product for free for the purpose of this review and no further compensation was received. I offer my honest opinion. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.